A quick post before the mulberries get overripe. This cake can be made with all kinds of fruits – so we can use the recipe later as well –, but it becomes exceptionally nice with berries, especially with mulberries. A beautiful cake with dark spots.
The cake is quite similar to the one my mother always makes with sour cherries, but I converted the recipe into a gluten-free version for my friends. I used buckwheat and rice flour, and didn’t put any sugar in it. I poured honey over it after it was ready, so it gets pleasantly moist and not too sweet. It was only an idea but it turned out really fine: a fruity cake which is sweet and not sweet at the same time. This cake has became our favourite in the last couple of weeks.
We have lots of mulberry bushes near our house. We always pick some during walking our dogs. There are two bushes just right in front of the house, so it happens sometimes that I just pick some for breakfast in the morning. This is a nice way of stay in tune with nature.
Makes 8 big or 10 smaller slices
- 100 g buckwheat flour (Fire)
- 80 g rice flour (Earth)
- 100 g ground almonds (Earth)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Metal)
- ½ teaspoon salt (Water)
- 3 eggs, separated, the white beaten (Earth)
- 1 teaspoon ground vanilla (Metal)
- 100 g melted butter or coconut oil (Earth)
- 1 organic lemon, grated zest (Metal) and juice (Wood)
- 300 ml/250 g Greek or Turkish (whole fat) yoghurt (Wood)
- 300 g berries (mulberry, raspberry, sour cherry, blueberry…) (Wood, Earth)
- 200 ml honey (Earth)
- Warm up the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the egg yolks with the vanilla, butter/coconut oil, lemon zest and juice, then add the yoghurt.
- Mix the egg and the flour mixture together.
- Beat the egg whites and mix it with the batter carefully.
- Put 100 grams of the fruits aside, which we will use to decorate our cake after it is baked.
- Mix half of the remained fruits with the batter.
- Grease the cake pan with some butter or use silicon cake pan. Pour the batter into it.
- Sprinkle the other half of the fruits over the cake.
- Bake it for 40 minutes.
- After it is done, pour the honey over it. Sprinkle the fruits over it for decoration.